The domino effect of the Great Resignation is transforming industries in Indianapolis, particularly in the supply chain sector. Since the pandemic drastically altered work expectations and demands, supply chain hiring managers must reassess and adapt their hiring strategies. To retain and attract the best talent, employers must go beyond traditional salary perks and introduce significant changes in workplace norms, benefits, and recruitment tactics.
Our expert-recommended strategies empower employers to attract top-notch talent and develop a loyal, dynamic supply chain team. From nurturing growth opportunities and validating contributions to offering flexibility and leveraging data analytics—each strategy is designed to help you navigate challenging times effectively.
Feeling the effects of continuous change in your supply chain workforce—and wish you could future-proof your organization? Read on…
What Are Some Reasons Why Top Talent Leaves Supply Chain Roles?
Contrary to popular belief, the decision to leave a job is rarely impulsive. When employees resign, their decision can usually be traced back to an underlying issue. Comprehending these triggers, especially in the supply chain sector where there is a significant talent shortage, can help employers hang on to their best talent.
What are some of the main reasons why top talent might exit their roles in supply chain and logistics?
- Lack of Growth Opportunities. With the ever-evolving landscape of logistics and supply chain management, professionals are continually seeking opportunities for personal growth and professional development. If a company fails to provide opportunities for upskilling, reskilling, or promotion, employees might feel stagnant, underutilized, or unfulfilled – leading them to explore the market for better options.
- Inadequate Compensation. As in any industry, remuneration plays a crucial role in talent retention. If an organization fails to offer competitive compensation packages or neglects to reward their employees’ efforts, they run the risk of losing them.
- Limited Work-Life Balance. The rigid schedules and intense work demands of the logistics sector can often lead to an unhealthy work-life balance for employees. The pandemic demonstrated that the traditional 9-5 model isn’t the only way, leading employees to expect more flexible work options. Organizations failing to offer flexibility, remote work options, or hours adjustment end up driving away employees seeking a more balanced lifestyle.
- Absence of Appreciation. Employees want to feel valued, heard, and appreciated. Organizations that don’t cultivate a culture of feedback and recognition can expect a higher turnover rate. Workers stay longer with organizations that value and act on their feedback, proving that open lines of communication and genuine appreciation are integral to retention.
How Do Supply Chain Staffing Agencies Support Employers in Indianapolis?
Many Indianapolis employers have discovered the tremendous benefits of partnering with a supply chain staffing agency. From leveraging specialized industry knowledge to reducing hiring timelines, firms that offer operations and logistics staffing services can help you supercharge your recruitment efforts in the following ways:
Staffing Agencies Excel in Identifying Top Talent
The nature of supply chain operations demands proficiency in specific technical skills. Staffing agencies specializing in logistics and operations have well-honed methodologies for assessing these skills. Their extensive industry knowledge ensures they are up to date with the latest technologies and terminologies, allowing them to assess candidate capabilities accurately and swiftly.
Strive to Find Candidates that Fit Well to Reduce Turnover
Apart from judging if the candidate possesses the required skill set, it’s equally important to ensure they align with your company’s culture and values. Supply chain staffing recruiters are veterans in deciphering these behavioral nuances, conducting personality tests, and undertaking detailed reference checks to ascertain the candidate’s work ethic, communication style, and ability to align with a company’s culture. Experienced supply chain recruiters can help your organization avoid the risk of hiring a candidate who is not a good fit for your team.
Provide a Faster Onboarding Process
Bringing new employees on board is one of the most crucial stages of the recruitment process. A quick, effective, and comprehensive onboarding process can ensure a smooth transition for your new employees, setting a positive tone for their entire journey with your organization. Engaging with a staffing agency specializing in supply chain staffing services plays a decisive role in expediting this process. How can your organization turbocharge its onboarding procedures?
- Prior Screening and Document Verification. Staffing agencies conduct thorough background checks and document verification processes before the candidate meets a prospective employer. By the time you agree to hire an individual, the checks regarding past employment, education, and relevant certifications have been completed. This comprehensive pre-screening minimizes any surprises, thus reducing hiring timelines.
- Job-Role Training Prior to Joining. Many specialized supply chain staffing agencies conduct basic training sessions customized to the client’s core business operations. New hires come equipped with an initial understanding of their jobs and your company’s processes, reducing the critical ramp-up time post-hire.
- Provision of Onboarding Kits and Administrative Support. From forms and vital documentation to company policies, handbooks, benefits guides, and more, supply chain staffing agencies can assist in compiling an onboarding kit customized to the needs and expectations of your organization. They can also provide administrative support by setting up email accounts, arranging appropriate IT equipment, providing login access to relevant systems, and more. This way, new employees can hit the ground running!
- Regular Follow-Ups and Support for New Hires. Specialized supply chain staffing firms don’t disappear once a placement is made. Instead, they follow-up with both you and the new hire, smoothing out any friction points and ensuring a seamless transition. By acting as a communication bridge early on, these agencies can help manage issues preemptively, saving time lost in miscommunication or confusion.
Offer Temporary and Temp-to-Hire Staffing Solutions
In today’s evolving work world, flexibility is key. Partnering with a supply chain staffing firm that offers temporary and temp-to-hire staffing solutions can help employers address short-term staffing needs while also providing an avenue for long-term workforce planning.
An adaptable workforce offers employers the following benefits:
- Scale up or pare your workforce based on demand.
- Reduce costs by avoiding the expenses associated with hiring full-time employees (benefits, PTO, taxes, etc.).
- Evaluate temp-to-hire talent before extending a permanent offer.
Staffing Agencies Provide Rapid Replacements
No hiring process is foolproof. There may be instances where a new hire does not meet expectations or does not integrate well with the team, necessitating a rapid replacement. Thankfully, staffing agencies can rise to the challenge, providing fast replacements for employees.
In addition, most staffing agencies offer a “guarantee period” for their placements. If the employee leaves or is dismissed during this time frame, they’ll replace the individual at no extra cost. This offers peace of mind to employers and ensures that the integrity and pace of operations remain undisturbed.
The hand-in-glove collaboration between the employer and staffing agency can mitigate potential hiring risks and keep operations running smoothly. So, if the initial candidate doesn’t work out, the replacement is brought on board swiftly – typically, businesses won’t have to wait more than a few weeks to onboard a new hire. Outsourcing to a trusted staffing agency provides a safety net, ensuring that you’re never left short-handed and can quickly react to any upheaval in your staffing needs.
Five Key Strategies that Enhances Talent Retention
Drawing from industry research and nearly a decade of experience, 619 Recruiting experts have identified five essential strategies to help supply chain businesses improve retention. These strategies range from offering internal growth opportunities to leveraging market analytics to pre-empt potential retention issues.
Offering Competitive Compensation
Developing a comprehensive compensation strategy that’s both competitive and fair can help your organization retain high-performing talent. Successful strategies often go beyond base salary to include performance bonuses, stocks, retirement plans, health care benefits, and other benefits that align with employees’ demands and market standards.
Providing Continuous Learning Opportunities
By fostering a culture of continuous learning, you show your employees a commitment to their professional development, which, in turn, amplifies talent retention. Consider offering mentorship programs, skill academies, and training on the job. Employers can also support further education and certifications – options like the training and credential programs offered by the Association for Supply Chain Management (ASCM) are particularly beneficial.
Recognizing and Rewarding Employees
Employee recognition and reward are vital, creating a sense of value and motivation. Regularly acknowledge employees for their commitment, hard work, and achievement. This recognition could come in the form of ‘Employee of the Month’ awards, public call-outs during team meetings, or personalized thank-you notes. Bonuses, raises, and promotions also act as formal, tangible rewards for good work.
Encourage a Work-Life Balance
Modern employees prioritize flexible schedules, remote work opportunities, and the overall ability to balance professional obligations with personal life. While it’s essential to create professional expectations, remember to respect employees’ personal time and family commitments as well.
Maintaining a Positive Work Culture
A positive work culture significantly boosts employee satisfaction and is linked with better retention. Regular team-building activities, open communication channels, and a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion can nurture a positive work environment—and prompt employees to stick around.
Interested in Keeping Your Best Talent? Connect with a Leading Supply Chain Staffing Agency in Indianapolis to Learn How!
When it comes to attracting and retaining the best talent for your supply chain business, 619 Recruiting can be your competitive advantage. Our expert temporary and direct hire operations and logistics staffing services can help you add flexibility, easing the strain on your core staff while helping you operate more cost-effectively.
Reach out to learn more about how working with 619 Recruiting can make your business a place where people love to work. Contact us today!